Tuesday, June 2, 2009

European Election and what else to vote for.

Between June 4th and 7th it’s time to vote for the new parliament of the European Union.
Ever since I was able to vote the first time (when I turned 18) I have voted at every election there has been. And I finally got the voter's cards (is that the term?) in the mail (I didn’t get it before this weekend and I was beginning to think they had forgotten all about me…) so I’m almost set.

This time however I’m having some trouble figuring out who to vote for. Mostly because there are 3 candidates there are suitable (IMO) in each their own way. But I guess I’m voting for whomever I least disagree with. Just have to sort out which candidate that is….

But that’s not all we are voting for in Denmark (on June 7th).

We also have to vote for whether or not to change our succession laws so it will institute absolute primogeniture.
It’s all part of the fun being a (constitutional) monarchy…

Now why this hasn’t been up for vote before, I don’t understand. Sure, our Queen was able to become the Queen due to a change to the succession laws in 1953 (which made it male-preference primogeniture) and she only had sons herself and our Crown Prince’s first child was a son, so it hasn’t exactly been an urgent matter, but it’s 2009…! Even within the monarchy one could hope for equal rights.

Apparently we don’t do fast, but at least we don’t do despotism anymore*…. so yay for progress however slow it may be…


* (…and haven’t since 1848…)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

remember when voting to sing that weird Danish voting song of yours to make the experience all that more special. yay for voting! :o)