Monday, June 29, 2009

Memory Monday:

Fishing, ponds and streams.

Where my paternal grandmother and her husband lived there was a small stream in the backyard. And across the street there was a fairly large pond, and there were a lot of ducks and swans living there. Also there were a lot of fish. So my cousins, my sister and I spend a lot of time fishing. Or running around in the stream. The only time I recall us ever catching anything in the stream it wasn’t even on purpose. My sister was just fetching some water in a bucket and she caught an eel.




But there were a lot of fish in the pond. Unfortunately they weren’t that easy to catch. But we tried. Every now and then we would bring our fishing poles and stand around the pond, each at our favorite spot, and wait for the fish to bite. I don’t remember ever catching any fish, but I do remember that one of my cousins won a fishing contest that was held at the pond once. And my sister won second or third place.





Another thing I remember was the time I fell in the pond.

And I’m pretty sure it was right after the fishing contest. My dad and my uncles and all of us children were on our way home to my grandparent’s house. I was racing my cousin and she said something to me, so naturally I turned and looked at her. Unfortunately that was when the pond took a turn too, so I ran into it instead of around it. It wasn’t very deep. But I was embarrassed and the water was cold, and the ducks and the swans were swimming towards me (I guess they thought I brought bread by special delivery…), so I really didn’t feel like swimming around in there. And the swans were pretty big to a 10 year old.




After that it took a while before I ran my way around the pond again. I preferred walking :-)

No comments: