Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Thunderbolts of lightning...

...very very frightning... :-)

So last night there was yet again another thunderstorm.

There have been a lot of those this summer - which really is unusual.

I don't mind thunderstorms. In fact I love them. But when some of the trees next to (or actually in) my hedge shows evidence of being struck by lightning (not last night’s storm though) I tend to get a bit...nervous. Mostly because I live in a wooden house :-)

And last night there was a lot of lightning going on. It was beautiful. But when the thunder is so loud it even makes your house tremble and the lightning appears at the same time...you know it’s close :-)

Still there's something very soothing about sitting in the dark listening to the thunder and the heavy rain and just watch how the lightnings are racing across the sky.

Not my picture.


The only downside to the thunderstorms is that they appear to be the cause of some of my headaches.



On a side note Denmark will get a visit from what's left of hurricane Bill on Thursday, but so far it's not gonna do much other than maybe increase the wind a bit and give us perhaps a bit extra rain... :-)

And earlier this month there was a tornado* that hit a city about 40 kilometers from where I live. It damaged a few houses, cars and trees.

This is not a picture of the actual tornado* forming - but it's a picture of another one forming the same day about 5 kilometers from where I live. Again not my picture.

So the weather has been acting up this summer. But now that summer is almost gone (at least that's what the calender says...) next we have autumn...and winter.
Which means I can't help wondering if I should purchase a pair of skis...just in case :-)



* = We do get tornados on a regular basis but on the Fujita scale they barely hit F0. They usually form over the ocean which means they never really touch ground. This particularly tornado was a F1. It's only happened once before in Denmark. In 1962.

No comments: