Thursday, March 19, 2009

Indigo Girls: Poseidon and the Bitter Bug



I’ve listened. And I’ve learned.
Much like Natazzz I have Second Time Around among my favorites. (For reasons why, go check out her blog post about it). And it really reminded me of another song. I just couldn’t figure out which one. Obviously I didn’t consider it to be one of Indigo Girls’ own songs but I sort of realized that it was Closer To Fine*.
This – by the way – is one of the only songs I know by Indigo Girls. The other isn’t really a song by them. It’s Pink’s Dear Mr. President**.

I guess it’s not entirely true. I’m sure I know more songs by Indigo Girls but I never thought about it. (And this is a totally different issue I’ll address in another post…).


Back to the new album.
Actually I think you have a few different choices to make if you want to buy a copy of Poseidon and the Bitter Bug:

- There’s the album with the band version.

Or

- There’s the 2 disc special edition which includes: A band version and an acoustic version of the songs + a bonus track on the acoustic version.

I like both the acoustic and the full band version.
If you –like I – think there’s something poetic about the way some people can tell a story just by playing the guitar (or the banjo), or if you really want to hear the bonus track Salty South, then I would recommend that you go for the 2 disc edition.

I like all of the songs (and I have to say. It’s not often I come across a CD where I don’t want to fast forward most of the songs when I heard the intro), but there are a few I like more than the others.
Besides Second Time Around it’s Love of Our Lives and I’ll Change. And Salty South.

I just have to point out a few lines:


I’ll Change:
One day I’ll change, you’ll be the first one that I call
I owe you an apology, too many things and that’s not all
I’ve been running long before I learned to crawl

Second Time Around:
(Besides the lyrics pointed out by Natazzz – link above)
Sister if you ain’t got nothing good to say
Don’t say nothing at all.

Love of Our Lives:
Is there no mastermind of modern day,
who can blueprint a plan to make love stay,
sturdy and weatherproof ushering in a new revolution

The album(s) will be released March 24 (which is this Tuesday).

In the meantime you could always check out the Indigo Girls Official Website.

Or download your very own free song.




* Don't ask me why. And I didn't even remember the music to Closer To Fine - the lyrics just popped into my head while listening to Second Time Around. Right around 01.01-01.07 and 03.38-03.45 (the acoustic version). It's a guitar thing I guess. And - in total envy - I'd like to add, that I wish I could play like that. I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with my guitar - couldn't possibly be me ;o)

** This is a really great acoustic version!

2 comments:

Billy said...

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the line from "I'll Change" is "too many THANKS and that's not all," not "too many THINGS."

And I'm in total agreement that this is a pretty awesome album, particularly getting both versions of the songs. Only four listens in, and it's their best record (to me) since Become You.

Random said...

You might be right about that line!

Having listened to the song(s) (a lot) since I wrote that post, I've had doubts myself. But I find it really difficult to hear. (I've been blaming the accents... And it also depends on whether I'm listening to the song in my car or at home - a speaker thing, I guess).

And yes, it is an amazing album!