Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sapphic Sunday: Otalia

I never understood why on earth people would want to watch soaps. All these ongoing storylines where everybody at one point had been married to everybody they weren’t related to by blood.

But then I stumbled upon several mentions of Guiding Light. Prior I had heard of All My Children and the Bianca/Reese storyline through AfterEllen but never really wanted to pursue it – even after watching a few videos.

Guiding Light’s new – possible – couple would be Olivia and Natalia. They were to share a ‘kiss’. Giving the fact that this was a soap, and that even though two women share a ‘kiss’ it didn’t necessarily mean that there would be an actual storyline from this.

Let’s just say that my expectations weren’t that high.

But I gave it a try. I shouldn’t have. I really shouldn’t have.

Otalia is the name given for Olivia and Natalia (as a couple) in Guiding Light. Here’s their story. Don't you just love Wikipedia? ;o)

Goddess and Dimples are also names I have stumbled upon in the Otalia world. Goddess is Crystal Chappell (who plays Olivia Spencer) and Dimples is Jessica Leccia (who plays Natalia Rivera).


Considering that I a) can’t watch CBS or b) really don’t want to get involved with the rest of the merry soap-family I get my fix at YouTube.
I really appreciate that others take their time to adjust every episode (I’m not sure that’s what they call it in soaps…) so that the videos I watch only concern Otalia. Like Otaliafan or Charleyfan do.


Just to show you why I like this storyline:

"My two Mommies":



And Olivia trying to explain to Natalia what the other parents thought of them:


The kiss stirs up a lot of things. Olivia starts questioning her feelings for Natalia and Natalia has her doubts as well, but she reacts by dating Frank. [A lot of soap drama….]
Then Philip (Olivia’s ex-husband and father of her/their daughter Emma) shows up in town again:



Continued:



I think the story is really well-written. It portrays a beautiful friendship (and perhaps more than that – you’ve got to love subtext…) and the actresses are really doing a great job. And I admit it. I’m totally involved in this storyline. (Granted. Had it not been a storyline with a homosexual subtext I’m not sure I would have even bothered to watch…)

Another thing I would like to add is that there’s a massive fan base out there. Not only in the video making. Also in the “video watching” department.
When I watch a video I always read the comments. And some of them are really, really funny. I mean R-E-A-L-L-Y funny. I've had a few LMFAO and ROFL and ROFLMFAO moments - but hey, that's just me ;o)

I picked out a few from this preview which is for 4/1 2009 episode:



And these are some of the comments for the preview (mostly regarding the relationship and the tension between Olivia and Natalia).
There are a lot of really dedicated fans out there!

Penske037
your problems are of your own making natalia. and stop wishing olivia and start doing.

really you two. i'm gonna bonk your heads together like the numskulls you are if you don't get your stuff together!
____________________________________________________________
ceh2m
Olivia is straight drunk in that clip

Solari111
I think straight was a poor choice of words here ;)
_______________________________________________________________
diamondbed86
Why is the priest wearing a trenchcoat?

Penske037
maybe he's blessing the union but wants to be prepared for the frogs falling from the sky that is to come. that is one of the signs of the apocalypse, right?
________________________________________________
SubtextRules
Am I the only one who wants to lock Goddess and Dimples in a room together, away from the rest of the world, so they'll be forced to face the fact they are meant to be? I say we unite all Otalia fans and march down to Springfield for a good old fashion kidnapping. Yeah, I know it's been over done but hey...

scratrat
potential-lesbian-couple kidnapping though? Am i the only one attempting to sway the writers with my as yet unproven Jedi mind trick powers?
___________________________________________________________________
wicked7grrl
I heard Reva say 'I'm in labor' about 50 times, because I couldn't get my mouse just right to start with Natalia's line. And good gravy that woman is gorgeous. I'm going to be thudding all over the place tomorrow.
___________________________________________________________________
Stephanieml33
You know what I realized today? I need a F****** lobotomy to watch this soap! Then I need to hire a nurse to come in, so if I nod off, I don't ruin a nice comforter. Okay, so it isn't that nice. I watch this show with the volume turned down and peeking to see Otalia again...I don't know how much more I can tolerate the crap/filler (watching hetro couples fly kites, kissing under houses and burping babies!) DEAR GOD, MORE, MORE, MORE OLIVIA AND NATALIA PLEASE!! Thanks Otaliafan, I think. :-))
____________________________________________________________________



Enjoy your day.

No comments: