Monday, February 2, 2009

Memory Monday.

I’m taking a small break from the really hot actresses movies and series.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about – go watch my previous Memory Mondays

Saturday we chose our contestant for the Eurovision Song Contest (ESC for short). During the show I got to think about some of my all time favourite ESC moments.
I remember some of the songs being performed. Others were played in the radio even years later (and that’s when I heard it).

I love music. I love ESC. But as in all my other music preferences I like the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s music the most. I like music I can sing along to. It may not sound that great, so I usually sing when I’m at home or when I’m driving in my car (alone!?!).
And many of the ESC songs have that ability.

The songs I have chosen for today have all been winner songs.

Israel in 1979. (And it was in 1979 - Israel did also win in 1978, though)
Gali Atari & Milk and Honey with “Halleluja”:

I think this was one of my very early childhood memories.

Also the English version:


To a lot of people (who are totally into ESC - especially songs from the 70’s) there are two really great ESC songs – and only two. “Halleluja” is the first. This is the second:

Sweden 1974.
ABBA with “Waterloo”.
(If you don’t want to see the ESC intro about Sweden – skip to 0.46)


Switzerland in 1988
A very young Celine Dion with “Ne Partez Pas Sans Moi” (Don’t Go Without Me):

When Celine Dion won ESC she was 20 years old and already a star. But being French-Canadian she performed mostly in French.

Belgium in 1986.
Sandra Kim with “J'aime ala vie” (I Love Life).

This girl was only 13 years old when she won (she turned 14 later that year). And amazing!

Germany in 1982.
Nicole with “Ein bißchen Frieden” or “Ein bisschen Frieden” (A Little Peace):

This is an ESC Classic!! I love it.

And Sweden. 1991.
The wonderful Carola (Häggkvist). “Fångad av en stormvind” (Captured by a Love Storm)

Boy, was I captured…. I mean….Look at her….! Listen to her! (And please do remember that this was 1991…)

Ireland 1992.
Linda Martin with “Why Me?” (Written by Johnny Logan – but I’ll get back to him later…)

I was sooo in love that year. And not only with Linda Martin ;o).


Now these are just a few of my all time favourite ESC songs/moments. And I’ll provide you with some more later on (whether you like it or not) but if you for some odd reason cannot wait then go here.
They will not all be winner songs (but most of them are). And if you find yourself wondering when…erhm…Lys Assia won, you could look for all the winning songs………….

Btw this is Carola today *sigh*:


No comments: