Monday, May 4, 2009

Memory Monday:

When I think back on my childhood summers it seems like the sun was always shining. Or maybe I just didn’t care about the rain.



I loved the 6 ½ weeks absence from school. But even though I never (not in a million years) admitted it to anyone I was always longing to get back to school. At least during the last week of the summer break.

I usually spend my summers playing with friends or cousins.

What I enjoyed the most was when it was time to harvest.
My grandparents (my mother’s parents) lived on a farm. We’d spend time there during the year but the favorite time was during harvest.
Oh those summer days spend in the field. Running around in the crops, waiting for the machines (i.e. the combine harvester and the grain cart) to start cutting down the hay, so it could be formed into bales for us kids to play in.



I’ve build numerous of forts out of hay bales. Good times!



Then it was time to gather all the hay bales and put them on the hay wagon. Back then it seemed safe enough for us kids to ride on top of the hay. Pretty sure our parents wouldn’t do that if it was today. But we did then.



When we got to the barn we either went straight to the hayloft trying to get all the cats and kittens out of the way for all the bales to fit in or we helped with the hay elevator. Actually we did a lot of work but it always seemed like more of a game.



At the end of the day we were always dirty and itchy from all the hay and we were hungry and tired as hell, but still we could barely wait to get started the next day. Doing all of it all over again.



No wonder I don't have much energy left ;o)



Also.
It's May 4th.

Today 64 years ago WWII ended - at least the occupation of Denmark did (- along with the occupation of Netherlands and North West Germany).

Some still light candles and place them in the windows to honor freedom and those who lost their lives during the war.

I don't get the point of war. At the end of it everybody has lost something and nobody really seems to have won.

No comments: