Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Total randomness - or the mysterious ways of my brain.

My mind is filled with a huge amount of random knowledge (not necessarily useful - however it does come in handy while playing Trivial Pursuit or other similar games) and numbers. I’ve always been able to remember phone numbers, anniversaries, passwords, PIN codes, and so forth. Or maybe I should say I’ve always been unable not to remember.
If you ask me what my grandparent’s phone number was (and they’ve been dead for 15+ years) or the phone number for my best friend in Kindergarten I could tell you in a heartbeat. Old regional codes and all. But I don’t know why. It’s not that it’s useful in any way. And sometimes I wonder if I stops me from learning new things. I mean it’s my brain. Surely there’s a limit to just how much knowledge it can contain ;o)
Besides in the world of modern technology I really don’t need to remember phone numbers. They are on my cell phone. So cut it out brain!

I usually think in English (or at least partially in English – I’m not so good with the grammar…). This makes things difficult sometimes because I tend to forget the Danish words to describe things/emotions/etc.
And when I curse it’s in a blend of Danish, German and English. I have no idea why.


I have a thing about language in general. I have favorite phrases or words in different languages, mainly because I like the sound of them because the translation usually butchers the beauty of the words.

And I love quotes.

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."
Winnie the Pooh


So I’ll just leave you all by saying:

“I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.”
Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i too can remember numbers from yesteryear, like my first house number which stopped being relevant by the time i was 13. or my grandma's phone number. but new numbers, i can barely remember my own. lol.

the language thing i find interesting. i would really like to be around you when you start swearing in multiple languages. ;D

Random said...

I'm pretty sure you don't want to be around when I start swearing... Though you might learn a new word or two ;o)

And I'm glad that I'm not the only one with (old) numbers on my mind :o)